Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2017
Ah, music, sun, and the sound of motorcycles. It must be time for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. This year’s frolic will be held August 4th through the 13th.
Your headache will probably last through the 16th.
If you ride, you have to go to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Just once. More if you like to drink and party.
This is the largest gathering of motorcycles in one place at one time in the entire world. For one week in August, bikers of all races, sizes, and attitudes –on all types of bikes – go to gorgeous, scenic South Dakota to drink alcohol, check out the people, buy cool bike-themed crap, see some great bands and have a blast.
This year it’s the 77th annual event, with more than 700,000 bikers expected. The locals chuckle and shake their heads at all “the freaks” that converge on this little town of about 6,500 people. But business is booming so they’re happy to fill up your mug or fry you up some road kill. This little town will be completely filled with carefully aligned bikes up and down Main Street, past the Full Throttle Saloon and beyond.
What happens in Sturgis doesn’t necessarily stay in Sturgis. That’s because you may be in therapy for years trying to work through what you saw this year:
- You know you’ve seen it all if a very scantily clad man rides past and you’re astonished because he doesn’t have – shoes – on.
- Leather is smelly. Leather on men who have been camping for a week is really smelly.
- If you’re a woman, don’t be completely offended if someone asks if they can see your “tramp stamp.” Your best response is a “you show me yours, first.” If that happens it’s okay to fall over laughing. It’s all pretty good-natured.
Tips for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
How many of you are just getting out of jail from Sturgis ’16? You’re just in time.
Teasing aside, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is the coolest gathering of bikers on the planet. For gear geeks like us, it’s a chance to talk shop and look at some outstanding bikes. You will see some of the most old immaculately preserved Triumph’s to crowd-favorite and event sponsor Harley’s, to some of the most cutting edge and downright weird ass custom bikes to ever blip a throttle. You’ll also see a lot of biker beards and bikinis. Bring your camera. And don’t get arrested (again).
Our other tips include:
- Most of the town has a 35-mph speed limit and there are tons of police offices available to ensure your compliance. Don’t drink and drive. Just don’t.
- You’re going to spend a lot. It costs money to go in the state parks and the bars charge admission.
- Stay at the Buffalo Chip. It’s a decent campground just outside town. Staying at the hotels around Sturgis cost big bucks. Lot’s of bikers stay in the neighboring towns and ride in to Sturgis every day. No matter where you stay, bring earplugs.
There are tons of events; some of them are kinky, like the best beard contest at the Buffalo Chip campground on August 6th. Some are for a good cause, like the August 9th Legendary Sturgis 5k walk, run, (or crawl for the hung over) that raises money for the local animal shelter. There’s bike racing at the fairgrounds every day and concerts including David Allan Coe, The Doobie Brothers, Travis Tritt, Tanya Tucker, Ozzy Osbourne, Bret Michaels, and the Insane Clown Posse – to name a few.
That’s our scoop on the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2017. We will see you there. Ride on!